Microneedling is a cosmetic procedure in Austin for improving the quality of your skin. A special device is used to create microscopic openings in the surface of your skin. This results in the production of additional collagen and elastin by your body. This is what heals your skin and leaves you with a more youthful appearance. You may have heard this procedure referred to as collagen induction therapy. The process is effective for many different skin issues including:
- Overall skin rejuvenation
- Stretch marks
- Issues with skin pigmentation
- Loose skin including after liposuction or weight loss
In most instances, this treatment is performed by a dermatologist experienced with the procedure. Although an aesthetician can perform this procedure, not all of them have the necessary credentials, skill, and experience necessary. This is not only important for you to achieve good results but for your safety as well. You can determine who is qualified by asking questions. Your treatment will usually require between ten and twenty minutes depending on the size of the treatment area. To achieve optimal results, you will most likely need four to six sessions. The medical professional moves either a rolling tool or a device shaped like a pen over your face.
Once the device has created multiple channels in your skin, a soothing serum or cream will be applied to your face. The reason the treatment is so effective is that it triggers your body’s healing process. Your body will send collagen and elastin to repair the tiny injuries. Your wrinkle will be filled and smoothed by your own collagen. Most people think this procedure is only for the face. This is not true because the process is also effective for other areas of your body including your abdomen and thighs. The treatment has a similar effect as lasers with several important differences. Laser treatments cost approximately four times more and are not always good for individuals with darker skin because the color or pigmentation of the skin can be affected due to the heat.
Triggering your collagen production is incredibly important for your skin due to the healing factors. This is an essential protein responsible for keeping your skin younger in appearance with a smooth, firm, and elastic texture. As your body begins to age, your collagen production declines. This leads to the signs of aging such as fine lines and wrinkles. Your collagen can also be lost if your skin is injured by scarring, stretch marks or acne scars. Microneedling will not provide you with an immediate fix because the growth of new skin is involved in the process. Although you should see results shortly after your treatment, your best results will not appear for a few months. According to a full review of the procedure conducted in 2018, the treatment is effective and safe for treating wrinkles and scars and rejuvenating your skin.
There are two different tools that can be used for your treatment. The first is called a dermapen. The second tool is called a dermaroller. The dermaroller is rolled over your skin in different directions to achieve the same results as with a dermapen. The procedure has two separate purposes. The tiny needles in these devices create hundreds of microchannels. This enables your skincare products to absorb and penetrate much deeper into the layers of your skin. This means your results will be more potent and powerful. Your body will start producing additional collagen and elastin to heal these mini-injuries. This will improve the look of pores, scars, wrinkles and fine lines while plumping your skin.
The Procedure for Microneedling in Austin
The first step for your procedure is the application of numbing cream to keep you from feeling any pain. Either a dermaroller or a dermapen will be used for the creation of tiny openings on the surface of your skin. Your entire treatment should not take more than twenty to thirty minutes. Since your results come from your own elastin and collagen, you will need more than one treatment to ensure your results are effective. As your skin starts to rebuild after each treatment, your results will continue to improve. During the first few months, you will continue to see healthier and more youthful skin.
There are dermarollers you can purchase for home use. There is no evidence proving these rollers are effective or safe. Many medical professionals believe they can be dangerous. The needles are shorter so the penetration is not as deep. The results are not anywhere near as good as what a professional can achieve. Your best option is to let a professional with training and experience perform your treatment to ensure your safety and provide the best results possible.
Microneedling is an effective procedure for resurfacing your skin. The controlled microchannels promote your natural growth factors to create both elastin and collagen. In some cases, this procedure is combined with (PRP) platelet-rich plasma. This enhances the results of the treatment while decreasing your recovery time. PRP is a type of serum that comes from your blood. A typical blood sample is taken then placed into a machine to separate your platelet-rich plasma from your platelet-poor plasma. This ensures the concentration of platelets is much higher. Research has shown your PRP will aid with soft tissue healing and reparative cell function and encourage your growth factors. PRP has healing capabilities demonstrated through usage in several medical fields for many years.
In addition to being used with this treatment, PRP is also used for many restorative procedures including hair regrowth and decreasing the appearance of scarring resulting from acne. The many regenerative and restorative capabilities of PRP are the reason it is often referred to as liquid gold. There are good reasons Microneedling and PRP are combined. The combination of the healing properties and increased growth factors results in an exceptional treatment. This is due to the healing response of your body triggered by both procedures. The dual procedure will decrease your recovery time and enhance your results. The majority of adults are a good candidate for this therapy for two main reasons. First, the needle depth is easily adjustable for your specific needs. Second, the PRP is derived from your blood so it is natural to your body.
The Benefits of Microneedling
There are a lot of benefits to this treatment. This is one of the easiest and fastest ways to achieve skin with a more youthful appearance. Your skin will appear glowing and refreshed. The treatment can even treat acne, decrease blackheads and oil production and help with acne scarring. Some of the best benefits of this procedure include:
- The Immediate Improvement to the Texture and Quality of Your Skin: Your treatment will trigger a small amount of bleeding in your skin. This is necessary to provide you with good results. The openings the device makes trigger the remodeling of your collagen while encouraging the formation of new collagen and elastin. These are both incredibly important for your skin since they provide the plumpness so often associated with youth. Once you reach the age of about thirty, your collagen production naturally starts to decrease. There are other factors that can decrease your production even faster. During this time, a lot of women begin to notice numerous changes in their skin including sagging.
One of the reasons this treatment has gained so much popularity is because your body’s healing process will be immediately triggered by this procedure. This is the reason the texture of your skin will feel so much softer right after your treatment. After your treatment, you can instantly get on with your life.
- The Treatment for Acne: Not only will your treatment help with acne scarring, but the procedure can also help with the prevention and treatment of acne. The reason this treatment helps with acne still remains unknown. The belief is the micro-openings made during the treatment decrease the production of sebum resulting in less oil in the skin. The reduction of blackheads and oil production are also believed to play an important role in fighting acne. The bottom line is studies have shown this procedure does help with the treatment of acne.
All of this is extremely helpful because you can still have this procedure even if you are experiencing an active acne breakout. There are a lot of procedures you are unable to have safely when you are having a breakout. You will most likely require other treatments as well to control or eliminate your acne. This procedure will also treat any of the smaller scars or changes in the texture of your skin.
- Evening Out Your Skin Tone and Decreasing hyperpigmentation: Your treatment can help decrease hyperpigmentation and improve your skin tone. Hyperpigmentation is the change in your skin resulting from pimples, whiteheads, blackheads, inflammation, etc. The majority of skin issues can cause color changes in your underlying skin. These changes do not match the skin in the same area. This results in an uneven and blotchy appearance. This process can help by increasing matrix metalloproteinases. This is what is necessary for the reduction of hyperpigmentation.
Your treatment will most likely be combined with a serum containing vitamin C. This serum has been shown to aid in healing and balance the levels of melanin extremely well. These two components should be combined whenever possible. This treatment is highly preferred among women with darker colored skin and hyperpigmentation as opposed to laser treatments. This is because these women often experience worse hyperpigmentation for laser treatments due to the heat. This is not an issue with this procedure.
- Decreasing Blackheads: One of the most helpful benefits of this treatment is for individuals with a lot of blackheads. This often results from either hormonal acne or PCOS. The numerous microchannels cause controlled damage to the skin that works to eliminate blackheads throughout your treatment. As soon as you have finished your session, you will see a significant decrease in the number of blackheads on your face. This is especially true for blackheads on your nose.
Another benefit is your pores will appear much smaller for approximately three or four weeks after your microneedling treatment. This is because of the revascularization and healing effects triggered by your treatment. Your decrease in blackheads will also last for about three to four weeks. You can use a combination of vitamin C serum and a good skincare routine to help keep your pore size smaller and most blackheads from coming back after your treatment. This is something the medical professional will most likely discuss with you.
- Looking younger through the Reduction of Wrinkles and Fine Lines: A lot of people feel this is the most important benefit of this treatment. The reduction of wrinkles and fine lines can actually make you appear younger. Studies have shown the tiny openings created by the treatment go through the upper levels of your skin. This is what triggers your body to release growth factors for the healing and repair of the microdamage to your skin. The overreaction of your body to these small channels is deliberate. Your body is supposed to believe the damage is worse so growth factors will be released and your production of collagen and elastin will increase.
Besides stimulating your collagen, the microchannels also cause tons of small blood vessels to form. These are what directly provide your skin with nutrients, oxygen and blood. When all of these changes combine, the result is a tightening of your skin, healing of sun damage and fewer wrinkles. This means you are going to have a more youthful appearance. The reason using a good skincare routine combined with vitamin C serum after your microneedling treatment is so important is because sun damage can make you appear much older. The right treatments can actually reverse sun damage to your skin.
- Decreasing the Appearance of Scarring and Pockmarks: Another exceptional benefit of this treatment is diminishing the appearance of acne scars which have always been extremely challenging to treat. When any type of scarring occurs anywhere on either you face or your body, your body will go through a process called fibrosis. This process is good when your body is healing because it helps hold everything together. Unfortunately, this process is so strong, your skin can literally be pulled downwards. This results in the creation of scarring or pockmarks on the surface of your skin. This treatment is effective for pockmarks caused by acne as well as both light and heavy scarring.
Your microneedling treatment effectively breaks apart all of the fibrosis beneath your skin. This enables your skin to release both the tenting and the surface of your skin. The result is skin with a much smoother surface. Studies have shown this type of result becomes apparent almost immediately after just one or two treatments. This procedure is the most effective if you have small scarring causing a pocking or tenting of your surface skin. This is also an excellent treatment if the texture of your skin has become uneven due to fighting acne for a number of years.
- Exfoliating Your Skin: Nearly any treatment causing a disruption in you skin will result in some form of exfoliation. Exfoliation simply means removing the top layer of your skin. This is referred to as the stratum corneum. This is extremely important because this layer is where your dead skin cells are located. When you remove this layer of skin, the result is the appearance of smoother and fresher skin almost immediately.
Get in Touch with Us for More Information
To learn more about what microneedling may be able to do for you, we warmly invite you to reach out and make an appointment with Texas Laser and Aesthetics. At our convenient location in Austin, our caring and dedicated team of professionals will be pleased to explain this option to you in full and answer any questions you may have. Click here to learn more about our Microneedling Training Course. Contact us today to set up your consultation – we look forward to speaking with you!